Today’s recipe comes from the kitchen of Virginia Samuelson
One baked 9″ pie shell
1 T flavorless gelatin
1/4 c cold water
1 1/2 c pumpkin
3/4 c brown sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t ginger1/2 t allspice
6 t sugar
1/4 t cream of tartar
1 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
1/3 c sugar 1 t vanilla
- Stir gelatin into water and set aside
- Stir together in a sauce pan pumpkin, brown sugar, 3 egg yolks, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- Stiring over medium, heat slowly to bring to a boil. Boil I minute, and then remove for the stove.
- Stir the softened gelatin into hot pumpkin mixture until it is completely dissolved, then place pumpkin in refrigerator.
- Add 1/4 t cream of tartar to 3 egg whites then whip to soft peaks, slowly adding 6 t sugar.
- Fold whipped egg whites into chilled pumpkin mixture which has begun to set (about 3/4 hour after having been placed in refrigerator to chill). Return to refrigerator to set more firmly
- Pour pumpkin mixture into baked pie shell
- Top with whipped 1 1/2 c heaviy whipping cream sweetened with 4 t sugar and 1 t vanilla. Complete topping with chopped walnuts or sliced almonds.