Your daily look at late-breaking California news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. DOCTOR ISN’T IN, BUT HE CAN SEE YOU Hospitals are increasingly using remote robots to ‘beam’ themselves into hospitals to diagnose patients and offer medical advice during emergencies. The 5-foot videoconference machines that show a doctor’s face projected on a screen are especially useful in rural areas with doctor shortages.
2. MAN DIES IN RARE BEL-AIR SHOOTING
Authorities say police shot and killed an armed man in a rare violent exchange in the ritzy Bel-Air neighborhood of Los Angeles.
3. JURY FINDS FOR TEACHER BRANDED ‘PERV’
A Northern California jury that found three schoolgirls and their parents liable for defaming a Catholic school teacher they branded as a “perv,” is about to decide how much one of the students should pay in punitive damages.
4. NEIGHBORHOOD WINS NATURAL GAS BATTLE
A south Sacramento neighborhood association has been awarded nearly $1.5 million in attorney fees after the group defeated a proposal to store natural gas beneath their working-class neighborhood.
5. DEL RIO INTERVIEWED FOR USC JOB
Jack Del Rio, currently serving as interim coach of the Denver Broncos, has interviewed for the head coaching job at his alma mater the University of Southern California.