ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — State health officials say there’s been two cases of probable paralytic shellfish poisoning in the Sitka area.
Officials say in a release that both came after people ate locally harvested clams Oct. 18.
In one case, a male had tingling in his left hand and lips, was nauseated and vomited. In the other case, a woman reported similar symptoms along with a headache. Both were treated and released from a hospital.
Lab tests confirmed the presence of toxins that causes paralytic shellfish poisoning in leftover clams.
Early signs of possible paralytic shellfish poisoning include tingling in the tongue and lips. That can go to the fingers and toe, extending even to loss of control of limbs and difficulty breathing. State officials say death can occur within two hours.