INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A new public service announcement campaign is warning Indianapolis residents about the dangers of heroin after the Marion County coroner’s office reported 49 people died of overdoses from the drug in the first six months of this year.
Coroner Frank Lloyd says the numbers represent a disturbing trend. Officials say the campaign launched Tuesday also follows a sharp increase in the number of emergency room visits and property crimes related to heroin use.
Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services chief Dr. Charles Miramonti says people with a heroin problem need to know that help is available to them.
Indianapolis Public Safety Director Troy Riggs previously said police have seen a steady increase in heroin-related activity across Indianapolis in part because of Indiana’s crackdown on methamphetamine and illegal access to prescription drugs.