Family and friends remember Augusta teen killed in rollover accident in Butler County

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1381117667&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4427895&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1381117667 type=script]

AUGUSTA, Kansas – Four teens were riding in a car when the young driver lost control of the vehicle leading to an accident that killed his 14-year-old friend.

It happened just eight miles east of Augusta on U.S. 54 shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday night.

On Sunday evening, Augusta football players rung the bell at the Augusta football field one by one to remember and pay respects to one of their own 14-year-old Corbin Collier.

“God, I ask you to bless us now,” said Pastor Steve Spencer, Augusta United Methodist Church. “Comfort us with our lost.”

Hundreds of family and friends sat on the bleachers on a cold night.

They were comforting one another and praying for strength to cope with the sudden lost.

“Corbin was a kid that loved being around other kids,” said Brian Prentice, Corbin’s old football coach. “He loved hanging out with you guys. He loved it.”

Crash reports show Corbin was riding in a Dodge pick up truck with three other friends between the ages of 16 to 18.

They were headed westbound on U.S. 54 Saturday night when the 16-year-old driver behind the wheel lost control of the vehicle causing it to leave the roadway and rollover.

The young football player was pronounced dead at the scene.

“He always smiled,” said Prentice. “Corbin always had a smile on his face.”

The eighth grader played football for Augusta before transferring to the Goddard School District.

Those who knew Corbin say he had a bright future and was destined to do great things, but his life was cut short.

“It’s going to be tough weeks and months ahead, but you can do it. He knows you can do it,” said Prentice. “Keep fighting, keep smiling, enjoy each other, take comfort; that’s what he loved to do.”

The 16-year-old walked away no injuries.

A 17-year-old and an 18-year-old were also  injured, but they’re expected to be okay.



Comments are closed.