Non-essential staff return to US Embassy in Beirut

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department says all non-emergency workers who were ordered out of the U.S. Embassy in Beirut last month are being allowed to return to their jobs.

The department told all non-essential U.S. personnel to leave Lebanon on Sept. 6 because of fears that an American-led strike on neighboring Syria would unleash more bloodshed in the already fragile nation.

The Obama administration threatened to launch punitive missile strikes against Syria over an Aug. 21 chemical weapons attack, prompting a flurry of diplomatic efforts to forestall a strike.

Those efforts concluded with last week’s U.N. Security Council resolution endorsing the elimination of Syria’s chemical weapons.

A travel warning the department issued Thursday continues to urge U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Lebanon because of violence spilling over from the Syrian crisis.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, racial slurs or consistent name calling will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus