Dad delivers newborn son

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1380562852&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4389960&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1380562852 type=script]

SPRINGFIELD, Missouri (KYTV) – A dad doing a hundred miles an hour on a Missouri freeway still can’t outrun his son.

Not when the son is being born.

At 6 pounds 8 ounces, 19 inches long and about two weeks early Steven Monroe Morris the 2nd was born on the way to the hospital.

“We had to pull over because baby Steven decided to make his grand debut right on James River Freeway,” said new mom Linda Morris.

Early Friday morning while Heith and Linda Morris were sleeping, Linda starting getting heavy contractions.

The couple decided it was time to head to the hospital.

“I was just trying to keep her calm and you know, trying to get to the hospital as fast as possible, we were doing about a 100,” said Heith Morris.

“The water broke and we tried to make it up to Springfield and about halfway here i told him you need to speed up we’re not going to make it and we got to James River and sure enough i knew we were not going to make it to the hospital,” Linda Morris said.

“While speeding wasn’t quite fast enough, the family had to think fast, the pulled over on the side of James River Freeway to deliver the baby.”

“Dad delivered him the rest of the way, his head came out and then dad delivered him the rest of the way and got him and on my stomach and pulled his shirt up to cover him as he was calling 911 because we wanted to make sure the baby was all right.”

The 911 operator advised Heith to clean off Steven’s mouth and to grab the closest thing he could find to tie off the umbilical cord.

“Well, I grabbed the mp3 player we had in the console and i just ripped the cord right off and then just used that to tie it off with so closest thing i could find,” said the new father.

And while the two are thrilled to have a new bundle of joy added to their family, they’re still in shock that their delivery was road side.

Steven is doing well and he and his mother were discharged from the hospital Saturday.

Comments are closed.