TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Kansas waterfowl hunters who use dogs are being urged this fall to keep the canines out of waterways contaminated with harmful blue-green algae.
Officials with the state’s health and wildlife departments say the dogs that drink or swim in contaminated water may become extremely ill or die. Eating dried algae along shorelines can have the same results.
The agencies caution that dangerous blue-green algae blooms can remain a threat to humans and pets through October or later.
Symptoms in dogs usually appear within 30 minutes, including vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing and general weakness. Hunters whose dogs appear sick should contact a veterinarian immediately.
Human exposure can cause similar symptoms, including headaches, fever and rashes.