NY judge nixes release of Guantanamo detainee pics

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York judge has refused to order the release of photographs and video of a Saudi citizen detained at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in the investigation of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Authorities have said Mohammed al-Qahtani (kah-TAH’-nee) narrowly missed being the 20th hijacker when he was denied entry into the U.S. at an Orlando, Fla., airport. Charges against him were dropped.

The Center for Constitutional Rights sued the government last year in Manhattan. The organization said the release of videotapes and photographs of his interrogation were in the public interest.

Federal Judge Naomi Reice (rees) Buchwald said Friday that the images were properly classified by the government.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus