Family of toddler killed in a fire speaks

Austyn Taylor

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1377822700&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4270093&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1377822700 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas – Eighteen-month-old Austyn Taylor Scott was killed in house fire late Wednesday night.

Crews were called to the 1800 block of S. Everett around midnight. When they arrived, the home was engulfed in flames, and there was no way they could rescue the boy.

Amber Scott was able to get her two young daughters out of the home, but a wall of smoke and flames kept her from getting Austyn, her nephew that she has been raising.

“I heard Austyn screaming ‘Mommy! Mommy! Help!'”

She rushed to the living room to try to help, but it was already too late.

“So, I walked into here, and I opened the door all the flames went to my face. He was still screaming, but I couldn’t see past the flames,” said Scott.

She was able to grab her young daughters, ages 2 and 8 months, and take them out the back door.

That’s when she went back into the home suffering burns and smoke inhalation in a desperate attempt to rescue little Austyn.

“I tried to come back in, and the fire just blew out the front door even harder. It threw me back, and I was screaming, ‘help me help me’ and all the neighbors are like this video taping on their cell phones, and I’m saying there’s a baby in the house. My baby is in the house. Get my baby,” Scott said.

When firefighters arrived, they found Austyn’s body on the couch where the fire started.

A spliced cord hooking up an air conditioner set the furniture on fire, destroying the home and taking the life of the 18-month-old boy. The house is a total loss.

“He was the sweetest, happiest, most loving little boy in the world.”

The family doesn’t know where they’re going to go next now having to deal with the funeral of a little boy after losing everything they had in this fire.

The young boy is the fourth person to die in a fire this year in Wichita.

Comments are closed.