Toddler dies after eating laundry detergent pod

Detergent pods

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1376664688&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4226972&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1376664688 type=script]

KISSIMMEE, Florida (WESH) – A 7-month-old Kissimmee, Florida child died after eating a laundry detergent pod that was left on a bed.

According to police, the child and the child’s mother live in a battered women’s shelter.

The mother took the pod and put it on the bed where the child was sleeping, and she stepped out of the room for a moment to speak with a shelter official.

When she went back to the room, the child was eating the detergent, police said. The child was rushed to the hospital where he died.

The Florida Department of Children and Families said they have a history with the family and are investigating.

“The death of little Michael is a tragedy. It reminds all of us as parents the dangers of leaving household cleaning supplies around our little ones,” DCF spokesperson Terri Durdaller said in a statement.

Since last year, thousands of children have become sick after ingesting detergent pods.

Some are shiny , colorful and tasty-looking to children.

“It looks like that swirl candy,” one child said at Lake Eola Park in Orlando on Thursday.

Some parents are concerned about the pods, since officials recorded more than 6,000 reports of children getting sick after being exposed to the packets.

“I’m surprised they’re so colorful I mean it really does like it was candy or some kind of toy,” parent Becca Shea said.

Health officials said any children who comes into contact with a pod by tasting or licking it, should be taken to a hospital immediately.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus