Toddler who survived near-drowning doing well

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1376450859&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4221549&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1376450859 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas – It’s a story we reported just over two weeks ago.

A three year-old boy who nearly drowned, rescued by a police officer and first responders.

He survived.

A look at Max Pierson playing with his sisters, and you’d never know that just over two weeks ago, the 3 year-old nearly drowned.

“I want him to pull through… it’s hard when you have kids, you know? And so, you just hope for him. He was working and fighting and I was just trying to call his name to help see if he could hear,” said a tearful Officer Darrel Sundquist back on July 26th.

It was Officer Sundquist who pulled Max out of Gypsum Creek.

Max and his grandpa had gone for their daily walk to throw rocks in the creek when Max fell in and was swept away by the current.

“9 times out of 10 if you were to fall in it you wouldn’t get wet, but we’ve had so much rain it was really high and going really fast,” says Max’s mother, Jennifer Pierson.

An ambulance whisked Max to Wesley Medical Center.

“I went up to this man and said, ‘My son is back there!’ and he said, ‘We’re considering him a near drowning,’ which that was the first time I heard that word, it makes your heart stop,” remembers Jennifer.

The family was updated hour by hour.

“They were explaining his score was very low, it’s still low, they just made it sound very grim. I asked, ‘Is there a chance he’ll be ok?’ They said it was possible but they didn’t seem to think it was very likely,” says Jennifer.

The Piersons, fearing the worst, called their minister.

That mobilized a prayer chain at their church.

Late the next morning doctors gave Max the real test and took him off sedation.

“When he woke up and looked at Jennifer, tried to say ‘Mom!’ His right eye opened and he was moving his legs and arms,” says Max’s dad Roger Pierson.

Max’s health improved ever since.

A week ago Monday he returned home.

Prayers answered.

“Because it was so grim you think that must have really made a difference,” says Jennifer.

“We’re just happy he’s home. Every day you just feel better that he’s here that we get to play with that he gets to play with his sisters,” says Roger.

Max’s parents say the only real noticeable difference since the accident is his speech.

Max is working with speech therapists to re-train his diaphragm.

He’ll be starting pre-school in the next couple weeks.

Comments are closed.