France expels Tunisian as national security threat

PARIS (AP) — France has expelled a Tunisian man suspected of a role in several plans involving violence.

The Interior Ministry said Friday that two journalists were among targets of the plans, but did not elaborate on the plans or the journalists in question.

A ministry statement said the 36-year-old Tunisian man, who wasn’t named, “represented a real threat to national security and public safety.”

The ministry said the Tunisian was close to the radical Islamist movement and had several times shown a desire to go to Syria to join fighters in the al-Qaida-linked Jabhat al-Nusra, one of the rebel groups fighting Bashir Assad’s regime.

The Tunisian, based in a southern Paris suburb, had been living illegally in France for several years, according to the Interior Ministry.

blog comments powered by Disqus