EUREKA, California (KIEM) – A 2-year-old toddler is still in the hospital Monday with nearly 30 percent of his body burned after an explosion happened at an apartment complex in Eureka Friday night.
Just before 10 p.m. Friday, firefighters were called to the 1100 block of Searles Street for a reported explosion.
“The baby was really burned, badly burned. His little bottom was scorched, his arms, his legs, his back, his face, his head,” said Thomas Moreno, neighbor.
Detectives with Eureka Police Department said Andrea Ruiz-Guerrero, 19, and Logan Hughes, 21, were inside their apartment extracting hash oil when the chemicals they were using caught fire.
“They were using butane canisters which are highly flammable and it was in the area of the apartment that was near the gas and water heater, and that is what we believe was the ignition source,” said Detective Bill Nova.
“When I was in my room, I thought it was a gunshot. When I exited to my balcony, I noticed that the window was exploded out,” said Moreno. “I entered the hallway he was exiting his house which then I seen that he was scorched and burned and his pants were blown and he said he was burning hash oil and he blew up his baby.”
After Guerrero and Hughes ran out of their apartment, Moreno said his wife ran to grab the burned child.
“To me they were good people, and I can not believe they did that to their baby.”
Detective Nova said both Guerrero and Hughes are in the Humboldt County Jail and are charged with two felony counts of child endangerment, one count for the child that was burned, and one count for endangering their unborn child.
According to police, the 2-year-old toddler is still in critical condition but is expected to survive.