1 dead from exposure to carbon monoxide at NC farm

FRANKLIN, N.C. (AP) — Authorities in western North Carolina say one person died and 16 others were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in a packing facility at a farm.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reports (http://avlne.ws/148Ib4s ) that Matt Mason, assistant chief of Clarks Creek Fire and Rescue, said emergency responders found two workers unresponsive Friday inside a refrigerated packing house where fruits and vegetables are stored.

Mason said one of the two workers suffered cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at Angel Medical Center in Franklin. The other was airlifted to Greenville Memorial Hospital in South Carolina. His condition was unknown.

Mason said four bystanders who stopped to help and 11 emergency workers and sheriff’s office personnel were also overcome.

Mason said the N.C. Division of Occupational Safety and Health is investigating.

___

Information from: The Asheville Citizen-Times, http://www.citizen-times.com

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus