Wichita police officer pulls young boy from a creek

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1374877103&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4171806&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1374877103 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas – A 3-year-old boy remains in critical condition Saturday  after falling in a creek.

A Wichita police officer pulled a young boy from a southeast Wichita creek around 10 a.m. Friday morning.

Authorities say a 3-year-old boy was walking with his grandfather when he slipped down a hill and fell into a creek in the 8300 block of East Gilbert.

The grandfather began searching for the boy and called 911.

Officer Darren Sundquist of the Wichita Police Department found the boy in the creek about 200 yards from where he fell in and pulled him from the water.

“It is hard when you have kids. You just hope for him. He was working and fighting. I was trying to call his name to see if he could hear and work on his own.  The fire department and EMS did what they could. Obviously, they transported him,” Sundquist said. “I hope for him.  It is going to be hard.  He was very discolored. When I saw his skin color was coming back, I had a lot of positive thoughts.”

Some neighbors even helped pull the boy to the waiting ambulance which took him to Wesley Medical Center for treatment.

“I had opened my blinds this morning and saw the police cars and an ambulance and big fire trucks, just the amount of cars that were there, and it was just, I had no idea what had happened,” said Diane Pickell, neighbor.

Despite the swift creek waters, quick actions by first responders are being credited for giving the boy a chance at survival.

“The boy didn’t get very far down the creek, because the water is flowing pretty good as you can tell, good rate right now. So, it was very fortunate he was able to spot the kid in the muddy water,” said Sgt. Bruce Watts, Wichita Police Department.

The boy remains in critical condition Saturday.

Comments are closed.