Residents salvaging and cleaning up damage from standoff

Courtesy: Jeremy Davis

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1374099315&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4146042&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1374099315 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas – Some residents of Southlake Village Apartments are getting to see the aftermath of damage in a 32-hour standoff.

The standoff happened last week Wednesday after Jared Woosypiti opened fire at a K-Mart and later escaped to an apartment at the Southlake Village.

Casanova Cruz’s apartment was one that was heavily damaged.  He took a camera on a tour.

“Here’s my apartment, apartment 802, and I’m coming in showing you some of the mold that’s on the wall. It’s pretty bad in here,” said Cruz.  “It’s so stinky in here, and it’s even harder to breath, and now I’m doing this, my lungs are kinda warm and everything.”

Cruz is one of the last of six people finally allowed to return to their homes after a more than 30-hour standoff between Jared Woosypiti and police.

“Those two boards that’s were he was at, and then he broke in through the wall to get to the other two.”

Cruz says he was at home watching television when he got a knock on the door last Wednesday.

That knock turned into an evacuation that would leave him locked out for days wondering how someone living right above him could cause so much damage.

“I’m just glad were all safe. You know. It’s terrible in there.”

To make matters worse, renters insurance is an issue.  Cruz says he’s lost everything including irreplaceable keepsakes.

“Instead of putting renters insurance on our property, they put rental car insurance, so they’re trying to say they’re not going to cover nothing for us so that’s another thing were out of luck there.”

Brent and Jeremy Davis, owners of the apartments, submitted photographs of the damaged interiors to KSN.  Click to view show below.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Comments are closed.