Southlake Village residents ready to move on after fatal standoff

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1373768949&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4140150&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1373768949 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas– A chaotic past couple of days for residents at Southlake Village after a tense stand off that ended with the suspect shot and killed.

Residents displaced by the standoff are finally back in their homes Saturday afternoon.

Some Southlake Village families enjoyed a relaxing day at the pool.

“Everything is a little nice, a nice sense of normalcy now,” said Jason Garrity, resident. “Everyone is very supportive of each other.”

Even though police tape is still up to block off the crime scene as police investigates, some residents tell KSN News they’re looking forward to some peace and quiet.

Jason Garrity brought his two little girls for a swim and it’s their first time here since the more than 30 hour stand off that ended with suspect Jared Woosypiti shot and killed.

“Sleeping last night was good,” said Garrity, resident. “My oldest daughter was kind of scared because she saw pictures on T.V. and on the computer and it kind of freaked her out initially, but she got out here and saw that everything is okay and she’s a lot better now.”

Police evacuated dozens of residents from building 6,7, and 8 for safety concerns during the stand off and now that it’s over, all buildings have since reopened with the exception of 6 units in building 8.

KSN News learned those units were heavily damaged during the stand off.

“I feel sorry for the people in 8 you know,” said Gerry Benrok, resident. “I think everything will go back to normal. It’s just something that happened.”

Despite what happened, residents say it doesn’t make them feel less safe or different about the place they call home.

“Just because one gentleman messed up it doesn’t mean this is a bad place,” said Benbrok. “It could happened anywhere.”

Police are expected to released more details about the investigation on Monday.

Comments are closed.