Part of Miss. River closed to salvage sunken tug

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Coast Guard says it has closed a section of the Mississippi River southeast of New Orleans so a tugboat that sank over the weekend can be salvaged.

Spokesman Jonathan Lally says a mile-long stretch of the river was closed around 6 a.m. Monday near the town of Venice. The closure was expected to last until around 6 p.m.

The tug sank Saturday afternoon. The river was closed from Saturday afternoon until Sunday night as authorities searched for the tug and made sure it didn’t pose a navigation hazard.

Some vessels anchored and waited out the closure. Others, including a cruise ship that had been bound for New Orleans, were re-routed.

It was unclear how many vessels would be affected by Monday’s closure.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, racial slurs or consistent name calling will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus