Young child injured while playing with gasoline and matches

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1372933356&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4127826&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1372933356 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas — An 8-year-old has learned the hard way that playing with gas and fire is a bad idea.

Emergency crews were called to the 2000 block of South Fieldcrest around 9:30 Wednesday night, after receiving word that fire works had burned the child.

When they arrived on scene, they searched the area and did not find any evidence of fireworks being used.

The 8-year-old’s older sibling that originally told the story was interviewed again, and then came clean that the two kids were playing with gasoline and matches.

The lit gasoline had spilled on the younger child, causing 2nd and 3rd degree burns to the legs and stomach.

Police say there is no reason that this incident should ever be repeated.

“This is a big time for fireworks,” says W.P.D Sgt. Kenneth Kimble. “People need to be careful when they are using fireworks. But in this instance these kids need to be closely supervised and there’s no reason why they should have been handling gasoline, matches, or lighters.”

The 8-year-old was taken to St. Francis for burn treatments. The 11-year-old was not injured.


Comments are closed.