Hundreds of Westar Energy customers still without power following storm

Power outages
Westar Energy crews work on a power line. (KSN File Photo)

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1372648110&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4122808&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1372648110 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas — Some residents in the 500 block of South Millwood are still without power.

They’ve been waiting for Westar Energy crews to flip the power switch back on after being without power for four days.

Walking through Danika Smith’s home was like walking in the dark.

“We were opening the fridge to get the food out, but it smells,” said Danika Smith, Westar Energy customer. “I open our freezer and our ice just melts out.”

Smith is just one of thousands of customers still left in the dark after last week’s storm brought strong winds topping at 80 mph causing for some downed trees and power lines.

“Within about five minutes of the winds starting is when we lost our transformer, which is just behind my house actually and that was about 6:30 p.m. and we’ve been without power since,” said Smith.

Smith tells KSN News she’s been staying at her parent’s house for the time being because sleeping at home has become unbearable at night.

“It wouldn’t have been so bad if there was a breeze,” said Smith. “It’s just so humid with all the humidity.”

A Westar Energy Spokesperson says they’re working to restore the power, but point outs it could take longer than expected.

“There might be some customers that might not be restored until probably after Monday just because the amount of damage they found,” said Nick Bundy, spokesperson for Westar Energy.

Some residents tell KSN News because of the power outage they had to resort to charging their cellphones in their cars.

They’re hoping for the power to come back on so things can get back to normal.

Click here to find out which counties are still affected by the outages.

Comments are closed.