WICHITA, Kansas — Fire crews quickly extinguished a building fire at Second and Rock Island in Wichita’s Old Town.
The call came in at 5:45 Thursday evening. Witnesses saw flames on top of The Rumley apartment building.
Police reported seeing thick smoke coming from the roof.
Firefighters evacuated residents from the building and quickly learned the source of the fire was cigarette butt container that had tipped over, igniting some rubber matting on the rooftop.
No one was hurt and residents were allowed back in soon after.