Congo defends Chinese mining companies

GOMA, Congo (AP) — Congo’s information minister described a recently published Amnesty International report on working conditions in the country’s mines as “unfairly targeting” Chinese companies.

In a media briefing Saturday, Minister Lambert Mende said the government had taken note of the serious accusations in the report and was concerned about conditions for miners, but he questioned why Chinese firms had been singled out for criticism.

He said: “Mining companies in Katanga (the Congo’s copper belt province) are of 30 different nationalities, and none of them offer their employees and clients different conditions to the Chinese companies.”

The Amnesty report details three case studies including two directly involving Chinese companies. The latter cases involved the forced eviction of 300 families and a confrontation with police in which a protestor was shot dead.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus