[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1370860194&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4090223&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1370860194 type=script]
WICHITA, Kansas — A Valley Center home was destroyed by a rapidly spreading fire Sunday night.
Sedgwick County fire crews got the call around 10 p.m. that flames were showing at a house in the 8700 block of East 69th St.
They say the farm home was 70 percent engulfed in flames when they got to the scene. They added that it is rare for fires to get that big so quickly.
There were two people sleeping inside when the fire started. Luckily the smoke detectors woke them up and they got out of the house safely.
“That’s why we stress and push smoke detectors,” said Sedgwick County Fire Department Division Chief Stewart Segraves. “This is one of those scenarios where they lost their home and contents and a lot of their belongings, but they were able to get out with their lives due to a working smoke detector.”
Segraves added that estimates are showing that the home suffered about $300,000 in damages to the structure and contents. It will likely be a complete loss.