Man charged in death of missing Maine teenager

Missing Teen Nichole Cable
This undated photo provided by the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department shows Nichole Cable, a 15-year-old girl who was last seen over the weekend outside her Glenburn, Maine home. (AP Photo/Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department)

BANGOR, Maine (AP) — Police charged a 20-year-old Maine man with murder Tuesday in the death of a 15-year-old girl who was last seen more than a week ago.

Kyle Dube, of Orono, was charged in Nichole Cable’s death after a body presumed to that of the girl was found in a wooded area Monday night, Maine State Police Lt. Christopher Coleman said at a news conference.

Nichole’s family had said she vanished after she went to meet a Facebook friend in real life for the first time.

Tyler-Ann Harris, a 16-year-old who described herself as Nichole’s best friend, said Dube and Nichole had met a couple of months earlier and planned to see each other the weekend she vanished, before he had to report to jail.

Harris, who met Nichole this year at Old Town High School where they were students, said she had never met Dube and wasn’t sure of their relationship status. She said Nichole wasn’t fearful of him.

“She was really happy even though she went through a lot of hard stuff in her life. She always knew how to see the bright side of things,” Harris said, using a tissue to dab tears in her eyes. “She didn’t always get along with people, and she had an attitude. But that’s a teenage girl. And she was just happy all the time.”

When he was charged, Dube was already in jail after turning himself in to the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department on Friday on an unrelated charge, Coleman said.

The body was found at about 9:30 p.m. Monday by a warden who was searching the woods with a dog, officials said. The exact location was not disclosed.

Although positive identification is pending, authorities believe the body is that of Nichole. The body was being turned over to the medical examiner for positive identification and to determine a cause of death.

Nichole’s mother has said that she last saw her daughter on May 12 when she said she was going out to meet someone she knew from Facebook, but didn’t know who that person was. She had pleaded for her daughter to come home, saying she won’t be in trouble.

Dozens of law enforcement officers, using aircraft and dogs, and hundreds of civilian volunteers have spent days searching for the teen, who lived in Glenburn.

“This initially started as a missing person’s case and sadly it’s transitioned to a homicide investigation,” said Penobscot County Sheriff Glenn Ross.

Comments are closed.