Police release name of suspect who drowned after chase

A chase suspect drowned after he jumped into a pond to evade police. March 4, 2013.

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1367809764&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4045066&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1367809764 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas — Wichita police identified the man they say jumped into a pond and later drowned.

They say 30-year-old Jeremy Horton ran from officers at a Wichita car dealership Saturday night.

The 22 minute chase ended near 69th and Hydraulic when police say Horton  drove off the roadway in his red Buick Century.

He then took off running and jumped a nearby pond.

“The individual entered a retention pond behind a residential complex and refused officers commands to come out of the water,” said Captain Patrol Hassan Ramzah, Wichita Police Department.

Divers spent nearly 45 minutes braving bitter cold temperatures searching for the suspect in the pond, but it was too late.

“Medical personals did try to resuscitate the individual and he was pronounced dead on scene,” said Ramzah.

Investigators say it all started at the Rusty Eck Ford car dealership shortly after 9:00 p.m.

Horton had been at the dealership before looking to buy a new truck.

But when he returned Saturday night, employees reported to police saying he walked into the showroom and was acting strange.

“The employee just reported that he was acting bizarrely and that he had two knives clipped in his pockets,” said Sgt. Bart Brunscheen, Wichita Police Department. “He kept acting like he was going to pull them out.”

Employees were concern after noticing that the suspect had tape on his hand and wires going down his sleeves.

They believe he may have had an explosive device on him, but investigators found nothing to that nature.

“A search of his vehicle was conducted and they found nothing harmful in nature either in the vehicle or on the individual,” said Ramzah.

A family friend told KSN News the suspect did have some past run ins with the law.

However, they lost contact with the suspect almost a year ago.

The case is still under investigation and an autopsy has been ordered.

Comments are closed.