WICHITA, Kansas – A Wichita man accused of killing two people at a Dollar General store last November will go to trial for capital murder.
Marquis Marshall, 20 appeared in court for his preliminary hearing.
Family and friends of the victims watched and listened as evidence were presented.
Prosecutors presented surveillance video footage to a judge Thursday morning.
The footage shows a suspect entering a Dollar General store on 13th and Oliver on the night of November 30, 2012.
The suspect briefly disappeared from view, drawing a gun then shooting a customer and store employee.
Prosecutors believe that suspect was Marquis Marshall, 20.
Marshall is accused of killing Henry Harvey, 79 and Zachary Hunt, 22. Harvey was a picking up candy for his grandchildren and Hunt was overlooking the store front when both were shot and killed that night.
Investigators spent nearly 9 hours gathering evidence at the scene where they discovered 6 cartridge casings.
“Cartridge casings they were identified as .22 caliber casings,” said Anthony Decena, Crime Scene Investigator for the Wichita Police Department.
Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett asked Decena, “Indicating a weapon had been fired within the Dollar General store?”
“Yes sir,” said Decena. “Within the front entrance area.”
It’s also in that front entrance area of the store where prosecutors say investigators were able to dust for fingerprints left behind by Marshall as he made his escape.
“We were talking about the fingerprints evidence when he kind of made a statement that he never thought he would kill anyone,” said Timothy Relph, Wichita Police Homicide Investigator.
Investigators say Marshall was brought in for questioning where he denied committing the crime.
“I never would have thought I’d kill anybody,” said Relph. “I asked him to clarify that and that’s what he said. I thought that could be an admission and he said I never thought I’d could kill anyone.”
Marshall could face the death penalty if convicted. His arraignment date is scheduled for May 16th.