Pipe bomb found and detonated in north Wichita

Pipe bomb found

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1366927914&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4032426&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1366927914 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas — Wichita police say they detonated a pipe bomb found in  Wichita. A woman discovered the bomb after stopping by her storage unit to get items for a garage sale at her house.

The woman was going through sacks of her property at her house in the 1500 block of West 29th Street North when she found what appeared to be a pipe bomb, just before noon Thursday.

The woman’s current husband, says the bomb belonged to her ex husband.

“Plastic pipe. Two ends on it. Fuse sticking out and it was two inches round by four inches long,” explains Joe Bruleson.

Bruleson says his wife shares a storage unit with that ex husband.

“It was in her storage unit and he (ex husband) had been staying there a couple nights,” says Bruleson. “And she was bringing in the bags over here (at her house) and was going to go through it for the garage sale and once she opened it up that’s when she found it.”

Once the woman discovered the plastic pipe bomb she called the cops. Officers called the bomb squad, and evacuated the area.

“We discovered what appears to be a pipe bomb,” says Wichita Police Sgt. Bill Steven. “At that point we evacuated parts of the neighborhood and we also had businesses keep people inside and we closed down the street.”

Cheryl Beery works across the street.

“We saw all these police officers. And they told us to stay inside the business,” explains Beery. “And finally one police officer came inside and he said that there was a pipe bomb across the street and that they had the bomb squad coming and it could take anywhere from one hour to four or five hours. He asked us to go back to the back of the building when they got ready to detonate it.”

Officers detonated the bomb with no injuries.

For Beery, the scene brought back images of the bombing in Boston, as she watched the bomb squad from her business.

“And we watched from the back window and I did move back for a little while,” says Beery. “We heard a pop. Yeah, it’s kind of scary with everything that’s happening it was very scary to think that you’re that close to something.”

Officers are still investigating who owned the bomb and how it got into the woman’s storage unit.


Comments are closed.