Lit candle tips over, ignites fire

House fire -- 7300 block of Dorsey St.
House fire -- 7300 block of Dorsey St.

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?div_id=videoplayer-1366885987&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&va_id=4031612&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1366885987 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas — A basement is destroyed after a lit candle gets knocked over and ignites a blaze.

Just before 11 Wednesday night, fire crews responded to reports of a house fire in the 7300 block of Dorsey St. and saw a heavy amount of smoke coming out the front door.

The two occupants of the home were already outside and said there was no one else inside.

When fire fighters entered the house, they found flames engulfing the basement. They were able to contain the fire before it spread to the rest of the house.

Upon investigating, they found that the fire started when a lit candle was tipped over.

“It’s my understanding that someone had shut a door and the candle was close to the swinging path of the door,” Says Stacey Wespi of the Wichita Fire Department. “It knocked the candle over when they shut the door.”

Fire crews did check the rest of the house to make sure there wasn’t anyone else inside.

No one was injured, but the fire did cause about $40,000 in damages.

 

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language, racial slurs or consistent name calling will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus