BALDWIN CITY, Kansas (AP) — A northeast Kansas man has made it out of his burning home alive after rescuers broke through a door and roused him from his sleep.
Bob Bennett was sleeping on a couch in the Baldwin City home early Saturday when a passing motorist noticed it was on fire at 1:35 a.m.
Baldwin City Fire Chief Allen Craig says the room where Bennett was sleeping was engulfed in flames by the time police officers got him to the street.
Bennett says he had been renovating the home and thinks the fire started in a second-story bathroom where he had been working. He says he couldn’t insure the house because of the condition of its two porches.
Craig estimates the fire caused $150,000 in damage.