Girl now in stable condition after escaping a fire Friday night

[lin_video src=×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1366145674&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4019723&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1366145674 type=script]


WICHITA, Kansas — A 6-year-old girl injured in a fire late Friday night in northeast Wichita has been upgraded to stable condition.

It happened at about 11 p.m. in the 2300 block of North Prince Street.

When fire crews arrived, most of the family had made it out safely, but they soon learned that the young girl was still trapped inside.

She was found in the front bedroom of the home, and she was rushed to Via Christi on St. Francis.

A fire official says that doors being closed may have save her life.

“With the door closed, it stops the smoke flow. So, we always want to encourage people that it’s better to sleep with the doors closed because it gives you one more barrier to the smoke and the heat,” said Capt. Stuart Bevis, Wichita Fire Department.

The 6-year-old girl wasn’t burned, but she did suffer smoke inhalation.

The fire caused about $40,000 worth of damage.

It is still under investigation.


Comments are closed.