5 killed in Idaho home fire after electrical short

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A fire official in northern Idaho says an extension cord hooked to an electric grill on a porch shorted out and started a house fire that killed five people.

Orofino Fire Chief Mike Lee says the house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived early Saturday morning

Lee says smoke inhalation likely killed the two adults and three teens whose bodies were also badly burned. He says the dead were a family of four plus a teenage friend who was sleeping over to help celebrate a birthday.

Autopsies are planned Monday, but Lee says there’s no sign of foul play.

The chief also says the house, a rental, didn’t have smoke alarms. He says three of the victims were found in bed.

Orofino is a town of just more than 3,000 people next to the Clearwater River in a mountainous part of the state known for its rugged beauty.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

blog comments powered by Disqus