Man dies from injuries in house fire

Fire destroyed a home in the 1500 block of Amsden in South Wichita on April 11, 2013 (Photo: Connie Geifer)
Fire destroyed a home in the 1500 block of Amsden in South Wichita on April 11, 2013 (Photo: Connie Geifer)

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=3×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1365807551&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4016107&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1365807551 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas — A 54-year-old man has died from injuries he suffered in a fire Thursday evening in Wichita at a home in the 1500 block of Amsden.

Authorities said Monday that Michael Durham died Friday.

A neighbor says Durham and his brother were inside the garage working on a moped when the gas line to the moped came off and gasoline spilled.

The gas vapors were ignited by a space heater.

“I was in the backyard, and he started yelling for help,” John, a neighbor. “I looked over the fence and saw the floor of the garage was all engulfed. That’s when I grabbed the fire extinguisher and ran across the street. By then I couldn’t keep it under control with that fire extinguisher.”

A firefighter and the other man were treated and released. 

The fire caused $95,000 in damage to the home.

 

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus