KU frat where pledge died in 2009 bans alcohol

KU

LAWRENCE, Kansas (AP) – Alcohol is no longer allowed at University of Kansas fraternity house where a 19-year-old freshman pledge died of alcohol poisoning four years ago.

The Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter went dry this semester, becoming only the second on campus to ban alcohol.

The new policy has been in the works since Jason Wren died March 8, 2009, after a night of binging that resulted in him passing out in his bed at the fraternity house.

Investigators determined SAE had done nothing criminal to lead to Wren’s death, but the fraternity was sued by Wren’s parents and settled out of court.

House adviser John Stacy says pledge class numbers jumped this semester, and he hopes other fraternities on campus will consider making the change.

KSN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus