Sheriff says robbery suspect killed himself

Sheriff says robbery suspect killed himself.
The sheriff says Horace Gwyn robbed a Wichita credit union and fired on a deputy before taking his own life.

[lin_video src=×2&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1365114711&height=400&page_count=5&pf_id=9623&show_title=1&va_id=4005757&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=400 div_id=videoplayer-1365114711 type=script]

WICHITA, Kansas — Investigators say a robbery suspect who died during a shoot-out with a deputy actually took his own life.

Dozens of law enforcement officials converged on South Seneca Wednesday morning, responding to a call of a credit union robbery and a shooting.

When it was over, the suspect, Horace Gwyn, 26, was killed.

Investigators say it started as employees at the Credit Union of America were in the process of opening the business.

One female worker was opening the door for another female employee when a man approached.

That particular branch does not offer lobby services.

Both women tried to keep the man out, but he forced his way inside.

The suspect took a handful of cash from the vault, then tied and bound both women.

Soon after that, a deputy arrived on the scene and started to chase Horace Gwyn.

According to Sheriff Jeff Easter, the deputy gave numerous commands for Gwyn to drop his weapon.

“He felt in fear of himself and all the citizens that were on Seneca and we had some citizens come out of their house already,” said Easter. “The suspect turned. [The deputy] felt that was the threat and he fired at that point.”

According to Easter, the deputy fired four rounds at Gwyn, hitting him once in the upper back. Easter says Gwyn shot once at the deputy.

But the sheriff says it wasn’t the deputy’s bullet that killed the suspect. He says Gwyn shot himself in the head.

Investigators are still looking to find the shell casing for the bullet allegedly fired at the deputy.

They believe the bullet may have struck a passing vehicle on Seneca.

Anyone with information is asked to call police.

Comments are closed.