Today’s recipe comes from Steven Cotter, Sabor Latin Bar and Grille in Wichita.
Prep Time: 15min
Cook Time: 10min
Total Time: 25min
Yield: 2 servings
Preparation of Paella takes place in two stages. First, cook the Latin Rice. Second, cook the Paella itself.
1 ¼ Cup parboiled long grain rice
1 ¼ Cup chicken stock (mix 1tbs chicken base w/ 1 ¼ cup hot water)
2 Tbs onion, small diced
2 Tbs red bell pepper, small diced
2 Tbs celery, small diced
¼ Cup frozen corn kernels
¼ Tsp garlic minced
1 Tbs blended oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sauté onions, peppers, and celery with blended oil for approximately 2 minutes or until cooked half way through.
- Add garlic and cook until the garlic has lightly browned.
- Stir inthe rice and corn while continually cooking for 20 sec.
- Add hot chicken stock and turmeric,slowly bringing the stock up to a boil.
- Once the rice has absorbed all liquid in the pan, turn the flame off.
- Tightly cover the pan with plastic wrap, and let the rice rest for 15-20min. Afterward, uncover to let the ingredients cool.
2 Cups Latin Rice(see above)
3 oz calamari (tubes and tenticles)
3 oz small shrimp (peeled and deveined)
5 mussels (Prince Edward Island blue lip)
3 oz Andouille sausagelink (sliced in half, lengthwise about 2.5 inch)
½ Cup broccoli (fresh or frozen)
½ Cupjulienne yellow onion
½ Cup julienne red bell pepper
2 Tbs frozen peas
½ lemon, squeezed
1 Tbs cilantro
7oz lobster stock or chicken stock (make stock by using that particular base)
1 ½ Tbsblended oil
2 oz white wine
1 chicken leg (Needs to be cooked in advance)
Salt and Pepper
- Bring sauté pan to high heat.
- Sauté peppers, onions, and broccoli for 30 seconds.
- Add all seafood to the pan, and sauté for a minute.
- Deglaze with white wine. (Adding wine to the pan removes cooked on residue from the pan.)
- Start grilling andouille. (Andouille is a cooked product, you just need to heat up and add grill marks)
- Add two cups of latin rice and 7oz of lobster or chicken stock.
- Stir ingredients together while adding a pinch of salt and pepper, then squeeze half a lemon over the pan.
- Let the pan simmer until everything is thoroughly cooked and little broth remains.
- Add the sausage and chickento the pan.
- Finish with fresh peas and cilantro.
Sabor Latin Bar and Grille